The gem needs the SQLite development headers in order to compile native
code.  Having the sqlite3 binary installed (which sqlite3) is irrelevant to
the problem.

I'm not overly familiar with Mac but I think you need to install
homebrew<http://mxcl.github.com/homebrew/>and then execute brew
install sqlite which should install what you need.  You'll need to have
Xcode <https://developer.apple.com/xcode/> installed before you try
installing homebrew.

Good luck!