Hmm, didn't know about this Map my India project either

We can write, but I feel they won't have a problem with the MMI
requirement, as long as their service is affordable.
Its more than just the algorithm and database right..
even if open source algorithms are available someone still needs to create
the digital infrastructure (tools & APIs) that businesses or governments
can use to access location databases on a large scale
and anyone who does create that digital infrastructure will want to recover
the costs of building it.

At times like these we need more examples of successes of open data,
databases, etc. to counter