From: Don Friedman<mailto:d...@professionalrecords.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 3, 2017 9:48 PM
To: Dataperfect Users Discussion Group<mailto:dataperf@dataperfect.nl>
Subject: Re: [Dataperf] New way to run DP

Chris - VDOS is a very handy and dependable "front end" tool to use DP in a
Windows environment. Easy to setup and configure once you've done it once or
twice, really allows a better visual image on the screen and keeping reports
accessible from Windows or DOS. Takes up very little overhead. The downside is
that despite some improvements in this area, it is very slow to import data and
run longer reports. For a quick posting and even a short report it's fine, but
most of my work is with large databases and the differences are stunning. I
don't have my stats handy but when I'm importing 500K voters it could take an
hour running under Win10 32-bit command prompt, a full day running under VDOS.
It's that dramatic.

I know so little about underlying programming that my assumption is however Lew
and Forth managed memory and buffering transactions has some serious conflict
with VDOS and other DOS boxes I've tried. Whatever, I run a couple of 32-bit
machines just for that purpose. We use VDOS to actually post transactions
(generally voter contacts, etc.). Most people who end up working on this data
during an election cycle never see anything except VDOS.

Hope all is well with you. Still in Florida?

Don

Don Friedman
ProfessionalRecords.Com LLC
PRS Data Systems
205 S Main Street
Pittsburgh, PA   15215
1-800-PRS-FILE
412-784-1615 Fax
412-400-3881 Cell/Text

On Thu, Aug 3, 2017 at 1:54 PM, Chris Pedersen