On Tue 2003/04/01 16:43:59 PST, Brad Hughes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Something to start thinking about now, then...  There will certainly
> be DateTime::<various business calendars>.  For example, I'm going to need,
> and therefore probably write, a New York Stock Exchange calendar subclass.

Woo-hoo.  I won't have to write a NYSE calendar then.  Once we start using
DateTime (instead of our current Date::Calc and custom wrapper module for
business days calculations), we'll need lots of the financial business
calendars (NYSE, Federal Reserve, EU (and individual country) "bank"
holidays, etc).

Good luck getting complete historical information on the NYSE calendar.
Some of the holidays were added over the years (for example, MLK wasn't
added until 197x).

One general comment that reminds me of, anyone writing a "business"
calendar, please make sure it is historically accurate (as it will be
useless to me (and probably others) if it is not).

> Unless it's thought that business calendar manipulation will be more frequent
> and useful than Gregorian/Julian/Other calendar manipulation, in which case
> now might be the time to make that jump, and rename things...

I think it probably depends on the user.  For me, like you, business
calendar manipulation is much more important than Gregorian/Julian/other.