Hello Marcel,

On 12-Apr-99 22:44:47, you wrote:

>> Anyway, the problem is not in the language.  I believe the problem is that
>> having to resort to native extensions to make a program properly integrate
>> the underlying OS to take the most of the platforms pretty much defeats the
>> point of using Java.

>There's more to Java than the "write once, run anywhere" slogan. Java is
>a very clean language (okay, there are even "purer" ones, but Java is a

You are putting this into a very academic perspective.  In a software
company what really matters is not the purity of the languages that are
used, but rather things like code maintainability and availability of
software development tools.

>very good compromise). As such, it can be used to quickly develop good
>applications. That these applications run on more than one platform is
>an additional benefit, but not (IMHO) the main reason for using the
>language.

For a lot of Java fans it is a very (if not the most) important reason.

>> It's kind of utopic wanting to develop portable programs in Java while
>> still wanting them to take the most of each platform.  Since it always
>> requires extra work to take the most of all platforms that you care it
>> doesn't make much sense to resort to Java when you already have much
>> broader support to develop native applications than in Java.

>For one there is not always a reason the "make the most of every

That's true, but usually that's a very relevant issue when you are
developing software to a market.

>platform". I agree that you sometimes want to use platform-specific
>features and that this usually means writing (small) pieces of native
>C/C++ code, but that does not make Java "useless" at all.

Right.  I never said Java is useless.  Like other languages it is a tool
and it is better suited for some purposes than others.

>> The way I see it, a lot of people are willing to use Java to write Windows
>> applications without having to put up with the Microsoft world.  If you are
>> developing software as a business I beleive this attitude is quite silly
>> but it is true that a lot of Microsoft haters still have it.

>I can tell you that I work at a company that develops software mainly
>for the Windows platform and that we do see Java as a good alternative
>in the future. Not because we hate Microsoft, but because we also see
>the limitations of other languages and like to use an open, modern
>language.

Ok, but that may only be because it is irrelevant for your market what
language you program on, otherwise adopting Java might be a big shot in
your feet.

Regards,
Manuel Lemos

E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]