From: Priest, Darryl - BALTO [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Did you build your own perl, or are you using the perl shipped with AIX?

I built 5.8.0 myself, first w/ AIX's C compiler (w/ all patches circa July 2003)

lslpp -l | grep "C for"
  vac.C                      6.0.0.4  COMMITTED  C for AIX Compiler
  vac.C.readme.ibm           6.0.0.1  COMMITTED  C for AIX iFOR/LS Information
  vac.html.SBCS.search       6.0.0.0  COMMITTED  C for AIX Compiler
  vac.html.common.search     6.0.0.0  COMMITTED  C for AIX Compiler
  vac.html.en_US.C           6.0.0.0  COMMITTED  C for AIX Compiler
  vac.html.en_US.search      6.0.0.0  COMMITTED  C for AIX Compiler
  vac.lic                    6.0.0.0  COMMITTED  C for AIX Licence Files
  vac.msg.en_US.C            6.0.0.1  COMMITTED  C for AIX Compiler Messages -
  xlC.cpp                    5.0.2.0  COMMITTED  C for AIX Preprocessor
  xlC.msg.en_US.cpp          5.0.2.0  COMMITTED  C for AIX Preprocessor
  vac.C                      6.0.0.4  COMMITTED  C for AIX Compiler
  vac.html.SBCS.search       6.0.0.0  COMMITTED  C for AIX Compiler
  vac.html.common.search     6.0.0.0  COMMITTED  C for AIX Compiler
  vac.html.en_US.search      6.0.0.0  COMMITTED  C for AIX Compiler

Then since that didn't work (and making gcc myself failed) I punted to an AIX RPM of
gcc

gcc -v
  Reading specs from
/usr/bin/../lib/gcc-lib/powerpc-ibm-aix5.1.0.0/2.9-aix51-020209/specs
  gcc version 2.9-aix51-020209

> Perl and DBI / DBD::Informix must be compiled with the same compiler.

Indeed. I'm careful that I am doing all 3 on the same compiler.

> We're on AIX 5.2 and I built my own perl, not trusting the threaded perl version
> that IBM had shipped. Did you get DBI installed without problems? What about
> other modules?

Yes, everything seems fine w/ the install of Perl and DBI, except for warnings.
Date::Calc, for instance, CPAN'd on no problem. Not being a C guru, I never know an
ignorable warning vs. a deadly one, and for whatever reason compiling anything on AIX
always seems to throw gobs of warnings...

> What's the output from perl -V?

You're replying to my 2nd post. My 1st one (15 minutes earlier) has exhaustive
diagnostics in it, including "perl -V".

Thanks,