On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 14:56:37 +0100, Tim Bunce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've just added this to the DBI docs:
>
> =item C<ReadOnly> (boolean, inherited)
>
> An application can set the C<ReadOnly> attribute of a handle to a true value
> indicate that it will not be attempting to make any changes (insert, delete,
> update etc) using that handle or any children of it.
>
> If the driver can make the handle truely read-only (by issing a statement like

s/issing/issuing/ ?

> "C<set transaction read only>" as needed, for example) then it should.
> Otherwise the attribute is simply advisory.
>
> A driver can set the C<ReadOnly> attribute itself to indicate that the data it
> is connected to cannot be changed for some reason.
>
> Library modules and proxy drivers can use the attribute to influence their
> behavior.
> For example, the DBD::Gofer driver considers the C<ReadOnly> attribute when
> making a decison about whether to retry an operation that failed.
>
> =cut

Is it inherited? Do statement handles from a ReadOnly driver handle get
the same attribute passed? If so: useful.
I'd like to see that extended to be able to allow dirty reads or no-lock
reads, whatever the database allows.

--
H.Merijn Brand         Amsterdam Perl Mongers (http://amsterdam.pm.org/)
using & porting perl 5.6.2, 5.8.x, 5.9.x   on HP-UX 10.20, 11.00, 11.11,