No, even with DBD::ODBC you need an Oracle client, not for DBD::ODBC itself, but the ODBC manager needs one. Windows comes out of the box with a prehistoric Oracle client that causes more trouble than it is worth, so even there, you want to install a RECENT Oracle client.

The only way to avoid installing an Oracle client on a specific machine is to use another machine with an installed Oracle client as a proxy, using DBD::Proxy or DBD::Gofer, or some other proxying code.

Alexander

John Scoles wrote:
I guess you could use DBD::ODBC that does net require an oracle client.

cheers
John Scoles

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 4:50 AM, Martin J. Evans