> On Jun 3, 2015, at 9:44 AM, William Bulley <w...@umich.edu> wrote:
>
> Martin thinks the parsing in the dbd_preparse() function within the
> dbdimp.c file (part of DBD::Oracle) has issues so that it cannot deal
> with the second question mark given the preceding single quote(s).
>
> It seems plausible, yet odd, to me, but it isn't my module.  Perhaps
> I have an older version?  I dunno...   :-(

I have numerous constructions like yours in my scripts and they work just fine
(and have for a very long time, I’m pretty sure prior to 2006 which is when
1.19 was released, so I don’t believe it’s your DBD::Oracle version )

Double check those single quotes, though, I’ve seen editors that try to sneak
in ‘smart quotes’ and those’ll bollix you every time.

Here’s a quicky test:

#!/usr/bin/perl
use strict;

foreach my $i (qw (? ' " “ ” ‘ ’ )){
        print "$i is ascii ".(ord $i)."\n"
        }

exit;

This is what it produces:

dbdev2:~ johnson$ perl test
? is ascii 63
' is ascii 39
" is ascii 34
? is ascii 210
? is ascii 211
? is ascii 212
? is ascii 213

Note the displayed ‘?’’s….this is in my standard OSX terminal, which is a
VT-100 emulator using UTF-8 as the text encoding.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona