According to "Howard, Chris" <howa...@prpa.org> on Wed, 06/03/15 at 13:09:

> I was hoping you could share the actual code
> with us.  But no problem.  Sounds like you have
> some good clues.
>
> Using Oracle 8 client and ancient DBI libraries
> probably isn't helping, but also seems unlikely to hurt.
>
> I'm leaning toward the opinion of an invisible special character
> of some sort embedded in your query string.
> But I could be all wet.
>
> Does it exhibit the same failure if you swap the selects
> around the 'UNION' ?

My focus now is trying to install DBD::Oracle 1.74 from CPAN (from
April of 2014) on my system.  Yes, I am using the Oracle 8 instant
client.  What is confusing to me is why FreeBSD _still_ contains
DBD::Oracle 1.19 in their "ports" tree!  After all these years!

Regards,

web...

--

 /"\   ASCII RIBBON          / William Bulley
 \ /   CAMPAIGN AGAINST     /

72 characters width template ----------------------------------------->|