On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 12:43 PM, luke saunders
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 12:14 PM, Drew Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > I'm using Fixtures in my app, and am overall pleased with it. But I
>  >  now have a couple thousand fixture items which are imported, and
>  >  that's taking upwards of 1min+. Out of curiosity I commented out the
>  >  creation of the tmp_fixtures_dir and just read from fixtures_dir. I
>  >  shaved my populate() time in approximately half. What's the reasoning
>  >  for the tmp dir? Safety in case anything goes wrong? For me, it's just
>  >  a lot of wasted IOs and time. :-) Luke, any objections if I remove
>  >  this?
>  >
>
>  The tmp directory is used so that if someone dumps while you are
>  populating the populate is unaffected. Since this is an issue for some
>  people I'd suggest making the tmp directory thing configurable,
>  probably in the call to ->new. Normally if the fixtures are on a local
>  drive using a tmp directory doesn't take too long so I'd prefer to
>  keep it the default.

Ahhh, that makes sense. The copy doesn't take _that_ long (I'm
guessing around 30-60 seconds for my current record set), but when I
want to do quick, successive test runs it adds up rather quickly.

> Or better still you can commit it yourself. Do you have a commit bit?

Yes I do.

Drew
-- 
----------------------------------------------------------------
 Drew Taylor * Web development & consulting
 Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] * Site implementation & hosting
 Web : www.drewtaylor.com * perl/mod_perl/DBI/mysql/postgres
 ----------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
List: http://lists.scsys.co.uk/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/dbix-class
IRC: irc.perl.org#dbix-class
SVN: http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/repos/bast/DBIx-Class/
Searchable Archive: http://www.grokbase.com/group/[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to