On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 2:43 PM, Matt S Trout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 01:03:22PM +0100, Drew Taylor wrote: > > On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 12:43 PM, luke saunders > > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > > > On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 12:14 PM, Drew Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > > > > > > > I'm using Fixtures in my app, and am overall pleased with it. But I > > > > now have a couple thousand fixture items which are imported, and > > > > that's taking upwards of 1min+. Out of curiosity I commented out the > > > > creation of the tmp_fixtures_dir and just read from fixtures_dir. I > > > > shaved my populate() time in approximately half. What's the reasoning > > > > for the tmp dir? Safety in case anything goes wrong? For me, it's > just > > > > a lot of wasted IOs and time. :-) Luke, any objections if I remove > > > > this? > > > > > > > > > > The tmp directory is used so that if someone dumps while you are > > > populating the populate is unaffected. Since this is an issue for some > > > people I'd suggest making the tmp directory thing configurable, > > > probably in the call to ->new. Normally if the fixtures are on a local > > > drive using a tmp directory doesn't take too long so I'd prefer to > > > keep it the default. > > > > Ahhh, that makes sense. The copy doesn't take _that_ long (I'm > > guessing around 30-60 seconds for my current record set), but when I > > want to do quick, successive test runs it adds up rather quickly. > > What if you used link() instead of a copy? > > Or just make the dump code make the tmp dir, and populate open a file handle > to everything in advance so you don't have to worry about paths changing > under you?
As I understand your suggestion, dumping to the tmp dir wouldn't work for me because I make a dump only every so often, but populate from it many times per day as I run my tests. I just want to zip through the existing files w/o any IO other than reading/slurping the .fix files. Drew -- ---------------------------------------------------------------- Drew Taylor * Web development & consulting Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] * Site implementation & hosting Web : www.drewtaylor.com * perl/mod_perl/DBI/mysql/postgres ---------------------------------------------------------------- _______________________________________________ List: http://lists.scsys.co.uk/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/dbix-class IRC: irc.perl.org#dbix-class SVN: http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/repos/bast/DBIx-Class/ Searchable Archive: http://www.grokbase.com/group/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
