A separate table would be superfluous I think. I just have a cron job
that runs dbmail-maintenance on a periodic basis, right now it's weekly,
but I may change it to daily or hourly as more accounts get placed on
the server.

If you need to list the deleted messages an appropriate SELECT statement
could be conceived of pretty easily.