On 09/17/2016 05:20 AM, Alex Zimmerman wrote:

Not understanding why this is impossible, I began digging through the code a
bit and thought I would write my own 1D implementation. I noticed that the
code in the existing template should work correctly without any changes. So
instead I simply copied and renamed the template, without the implementation
asserting impossibility in 1D ( Assert(false, ExcImpossibleInDim(1)); ). My
first test ran exactly as expected.

deal.II often asserts that something doesn't make sense or is impossible in a
certain dimension. Sometimes I agree and sometimes I don't. This is the first
time that it's just seemed completely wrong to me. What am I missing?

Quite possibly nothing -- we may simply be wrong. Can you point out the file and line where the offending Assert is located?

Best
 W.