" No, that is definitely not true. The correlations are expressed by the
eigenvectors associated with the eigenvalues. J^T J is symmetric and
positive definite, so all of the eigenvectors are mutually orthogonal.
But they will generally not lie along the coordinate axes, and so
express correlations between the parameters."

I see. My point pertains to the following:
If J has full rank, this means that none of the 8 columns is linearly
dependent
on another column or, equivalently, no parameter is linearly dependent on
another parameter.

" You would generally choose the (normalizes) eigenvectors of the J^T J
you have as the unit directions and the new set of parameters are then
multipliers for these directions. "

Is it reasonable to choose \sum_{i=1}^8 ev_i (ev_i are the normalized
eigenvectors)
as the new set of parameters?

" Of course, all of this requires computing the eigenvalues and
eigenvectors of the current J^T J once. "

If I get the gist correctly, I first run my dealii program to compute J
like I do it right now,
thence compute the eigenvectors, and based on them the new set of
parameters.
Finally, I run my dealii program again to compute the new J with the new
parameters.
Correct?
I did not read about such a scaling technique in the context of parameter
estimation so far.
Do you have any reference where the procedure is described?

I have to check whether the above scaling works for my problem or not:
For instance, if there are three old parameters {0, 20,000, 300,000} and
your proposed method
produces the new set of parameters {5,000, 40,000, 90,000},
it may happen that my pde solver does not converge anymore.
Also, the old ranking (0 < 20,000 < 300,000) has to be retained during
scaling.

Best
Simon