On 10/15/22 03:15, Simon Wiesheier wrote:

This makes sense.
So, given the scaled eigenvectors E_1,...,E_8, how can I find the coefficients A^*,...,H^* ?
Is it just a matrix multiplication
P* =  (E_1; ... ; E_8) \times p* ,
where P* = (A^*,...,H^*) are the new parameters and p* = (a^*,...,h^*) are the old parameters?

Something of the sort. It's the same point in 8-space, you're just expressing it with regard to different bases.

Assuming that my pde solver still converges for the new parameters, the overall procedure would be as follows:
1. run dealii program to compute J with old parameters p*
2. compute the new basis (EV_i) and the new parameters P*
3. run dealii program to compute the new J with the new parameters P*
4. compute p* =  (E_1; ... ; E_8)^-1  \times P*
Repeat 1-4 for all iterations of the optimsation algorithm
(Levenberg-Marquardt).
Is that correct?

Conceptually, this is correct. In practice, it may not be necessary to actually do it that way: All you're looking for is a well-conditioned basis. You don't need the exact vectors E_i. In some applications you can guess such vectors (like in the model case I drew up), in others you compute them once for one case and re-use for other cases where maybe they are not exactly the eigenvalues of the matrix J^T J. Or you live with the ill-conditionedness.

At the end, the ensuing parameters have to be the same, no matter
wheter I use the above scaling or not. The sole difference is that
the scaled version improves (amongs others) the condition number of J and may lead to
a better convergence of the optimsation algorithm, right?
Yes.