at bottom :-

On 14/04/2018, Yao Wei <m...@lxde.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The estimation of accommodation and food is actually not aligned to past
> DebConf, but we are making some assumptions based on current pricing
> these and the estimations of attendees.
>
> (Well... I hope to make a more realistic estimations. Estimating 300/600
> people is too optimistic for me neither.)

<snipped>

Dear Yao Wei,

I was a debconf-attendee (2016) and saw the pain and hard work that
went into handling 282 attendees who were there for debconf.

https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/Debconf16/FinalReport

Bernelle Vestner, strong and proud was sick the last few days from all
the work that needed to be done and that was not an easy thing to see
or understand. I saw the same over-exertion in number of other Debian
organizers as well so take that into account.

>From the recent reports that I have read, only the Germans ventured
close to that number. How they did that is beyond me.

Smaller numbers also mean people feel and behave more like an extended
family so the possibility of learning, sharing is much more so maybe
that could be something to consider.

If you do want to invite local people more than the Open Day would be
a perfect opportunity. Anybody, including me could take an ad-hoc
Debian installation workshop or why we love Debian so much and use it
in our everyday life. What would be just needed is a laptop/desktop, a
projector and some machines where people could try out Debian.

If we have a partial mirror (maybe amd64) that should be enough to get
the job done.

Interestingly enough, we did have quite a few people locally onopen
day,  few of them did continue to engage with us to learn more about
Debian and even sat in few of the talks and workshops. They came by
themselves, not forced or asked to do something but of their own will.
One gentleman in particular I remember pretty vividly as he picked up
things pretty fast and even won a beer keg from one of the hosting
companies who was in the job fair.

So having such kind of people who (for lack of a better word)
organically click and understand and could be turned into a
contributor is what probably the community would aspire to have.

Just my 2 paise.

--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल