On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 12:05:42AM +0000, Sam Varghese wrote:
> The Core 2.

I am surprised if an Athlon 64 beat the Core 2 on video encoding.
Weird.  What codec and encoder program managed that?

> It's a little fan next to the graphics chip, comes on the motherboard.
> Once it starts making a racket, you can live with the noise or else get
> the board replaced. I chose the latter option.

Do you mean the south bridge fan?  Nothing to do with graphics.  Aren't
they usually just a 40mm fan?  Can't they be replaced?

> My experience has been different so I'll agree to disagree.

I have just seen many posts on this list where people ran memtest, found
nothing wrong, but eventually swapped out the ram and their problems
went away.  memtest is good at telling you if you have a problem, but
terrible at telling you that you don't have a problem.

--
Len Sorensen