Instead of Dell, you might consider someone like LAC

http://laclinux.com
They sell nothing but Linux installed on computers _AND_ they will pre-install
the real Debian!

I haven't bought from them, but plan to. Geary there did help me for free with a AMD kernel issue a few years ago.

While I have several AMD servers, I would not let that control what you get for
a lap-top.

As someone that does hardware level work, I can testify that Intel is a lot more Linux friendly than they get credit for - they make a lot (not all) of their hardware data sheets available so drivers are easy to write. While not ideal, they have firmware drivers for wifi that just drop into place ( /lib/firmwwear).

The thinkpad I set up for Linux went smoother than any other laptop.

Karl Schmidt                         EMail [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Transtronics, Inc.                     WEB http://xtronics.com
3209 West 9th Street                    Ph (785) 841-3089
Lawrence, KS 66049                     FAX (785) 841-0434

When faced with the reality that he would have to start working a real job
for a living, the politician became about a quarter turn past hand tight.