On Fri, 8 Jun 2007, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 12:44:00AM +0200, Gilles Sadowski wrote:
Certainly not, I had only bad experiences with all-in-one systems.
Dell is probably better than Fujitsu-Siemens but I'd rather have
standard components, for a desktop computer.

But... The budget we have might be enough to also buy a laptop.
Which one(s) would you recommend?  The main requirements are that
- it must be light (the more so, the better); small screen size is not a
  problem as this won't be for watching DVDs...
- it should have a _working_ graphics output (to plug it to a projector);
  some laptops seem to have problems with this, under Linux...
- it must have a supported WIFI chipset.

I think about the only way to be quite sure wifi will work on a laptop
is to get something with an intel cpu/chipset/wifi in it.  intel
actually tries to support linux for their wifi chips.

My wife has an Asus R1F, which from what I have read is very very easy
to install linux on, although she hasn't tried it yet.  I believe it has
the intel 39xx wifi chip (the a/b/g wifi) which recently had support
contributed to the kernel by intel.  I think the only part of that model
that is known to not (yet) work with linux, is the tablet screen input,
but it is USB based, and quite likely wacom based, so people are working
on it.

--
Len Sorensen

I'd get an Intel P965 or 975 motherboard, besides some BIOS/MTRR issues with 4 and 8GB of memory, they work very well.

Justin.