Source: debian-installer
Version: 20230607+deb12u1
Severity: normal
Tags: a11y d-i

Dear Maintainer,

I keep my hard drive encryption passphrase in the "second slot" of my
YubiKey, so that I can use a long, random, secure encryption
passphrase. The YubiKey impersonates a USB keyboard, and when I press
its button for 2.5 seconds it simulates typing the passphrase followed
by hitting the Enter key.

On other installers where I use this approach, most notably the Ubuntu
installer, when the YubiKey hits the entire on the first of the two
passphrase entry fields, either it moves the cursor to the second
field, or it tells me the two fields don't match and makes me enter
the second one.

The Debian installer, however, *erases the contents of the first
passphrase field* when the YubiKey sends the Enter.

This means that to configure my encryption passphrase for Debian to
what's in my YubiKey, I had to:

* Take out my phone.
* Open my password manager.
* Search for and find the entry where the passphrase is stored.
* Make it visible in the password manager.
* Laboriously type the 32-character random passphrase character by
  character, hoping that I don't make any mistakes, complicated by the
  fact that there are some ambiguous characters in it.
* Repeat the feat a second time.

What should take a few seconds instead takes several painstaking
minutes.

TLDR The Enter key should not clear the passphrase field that has
already been entered.

-- System Information:
Debian Release: 12.1
  APT prefers stable-updates
  APT policy: (500, 'stable-updates'), (500, 'stable-security'), (500, 'stable')
Architecture: amd64 (x86_64)

Kernel: Linux 6.1.0-11-amd64 (SMP w/8 CPU threads; PREEMPT)
Kernel taint flags: TAINT_OOT_MODULE, TAINT_UNSIGNED_MODULE
Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8), LANGUAGE not set
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /usr/bin/dash
Init: systemd (via /run/systemd/system)
LSM: AppArmor: enabled