I need to do a EFI network (boot and) install, and I'm wondering if this file (bootnetx64.efi) can help me. But there is no documentation on it (except the suggestion in the install manual https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch04s05.en.html#dhcpd "specify a boot loader appropriate for UEFI machines, for example...")

My problem is this: I can UEFI netboot using grubx64.efi. However, it loads a standard grub.cfg which runs an interactive installer. I need to preseed the install, and I need to load a different preseed file for each server booted.

For non-uefi this is achieved using pxelinux's behaviour of tftp-ing a configuration based on MAC addresses etc. and fallback to a standard location.

I'm wondering if grubx64.efi or bootnetx64.efi support similar behaviour? Or else how to get specific information into the installer (such as IP address and hostname), if not via specific pre-seed files per machine?

(We can overwrite the grub.cfg each time with the needs of a specific server, but this is not ideal, as it will cause a failure if more than one machine is being net-installed at the same time.)

In general though I'm also looking for pointers to documentation. If someone could point to anything that explains what bootnetx64.efi is and what it does, I'd be happy to contribute that back to the wiki or install manual.

--
Thanks,
Alex King

P.S.
I didn't find much relevant in the install manual except as mentioned above.

I didn't find bootnetx64.efi not mentioned in any of the following locations:
* https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/FAQ
* /usr/share/doc/debian-installer-12-netboot-amd64, or any man pages in the package
* https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller
* https://wiki.debian.org/SecureBoot
* https://wiki.debian.org/UEFI
* https://duckduckgo.com/?q=bootnetx64.efi+debian+network+boot+uefi&t=ftsa&ia=web