Alex King <a...@rimuhosting.com> writes:

> I need to do a EFI network (boot and) install, and I'm wondering if this
> file (bootnetx64.efi) can help me.  But there is no documentation on it
> (except the suggestion in the install manual
> https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch04s05.en.html#dhcpd
> "specify a boot loader appropriate for UEFI machines, for example...")

Not answering the question you actually asked, but hopefully this will
include hints that will allow you to get to where you want to be:

There is a package `di-netboot-assistant` that makes getting the server
side easy to setup for net booting -- When attempting to get EFI network
booting setup, I was mostly failing to get the details right until I
tried using that, at which point it all just worked :-)

As for getting a machine to be configured depending upon which machine
it is, you can do something MAC based with PXE or EFI network boots, so
for EFI one can have a host specific config in a file called something
like this in your tftpserver:

  /var/lib/tftpboot/d-i/n-a/grub/grub.cfg-01-3c-97-01-23-45-67

although I generally only do that to make the automatic boot option
happen without requiring one to hit return, rather than customising the
machine's setup in there. Instead, I use the machine name that gets
assigned via DHCP/DNS to make the decisions about what to install.

That's how things generally get done with my preseeding framework:

  https://hands.com/d-i/

For example, if I set up DHCP to hand out the name 'oem.hk.hands.com' to
a machine, and set the grub config to do an automatic install while
setting `url=https://hands.com/d-i/` on the kernel command line, then
the framework automatically pulls in extra config from these two places:

  https://hands.com/d-i/preseed/local/_hostname/hk.hands.com/oem/
  https://hands.com/d-i/preseed/local/_users/_hostname/hk.hands.com/oem

which causes it to install Gnome, with a de-DE default locale + several
other locales installed, into a LVM partition scheme, where the first
user info will be prompted for after the first boot, and with a network
console via ssh being available during the install.

Cheers, Phil.
--
Philip Hands -- https://hands.com/~phil