severity 263402 important
thanks

On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 01:47:56PM +0200, Agustin Martin wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 12:49:37PM +0200, C. Gatzemeier wrote:
>
> > > Which were the values for 'debian-installer/language'
> >
> > Value: de_DE:de_DE:de:en_GB:en
> > (from greping config.dat on the running system)
> >

> Here is the problem, the code at dictionaries-common.config expects
> a plain language locale there (e.g., 'de') as I think was in
> debian-installer when that code was written.

I finally had time to debug this and prepare a fix. I am increasing this bug
severity since it is now affecting all the default ispell/wordlist selection
process.

I am also cc'ing the debian-boot mailing list for their info.

Sumarizing for them, debian-installer/language possible values were originally
single iso-639 two letters language code, but seems that
debian-installer/language allows things like the one you used
(de_DE:de_DE:de:en_GB:en). Since the code for selection of ispell/wordlist
default values expected a single iso-639 two letters language code all the
automatic selection process is broken.

The result is that most non-english users are getting in practice the english
selection if they install english dict/wordlist along with their national
one, even if they selected their national values for
debian-installer/{language,country}. In your case seems that you only installed
the german one and the script found no good choice (using the whole string)
and the question was prompted.

Since I think this is a nasty bug in the installation process I think the
fix will make its way into sarge, even if 'standard' is already frozen. I
will test things a bit more first. In the meantime I have put a release
candidate (for sid) in our repository at

http://dict-common.alioth.debian.org/testing

Cheers,

--
Agustin