Mattias Wadenstein wrote:
And mirrors would like to use rsync even if the rsync algorithm doesn't
matter. It is a convenient and well-known tool for mirroring a directory
structure, including all the metadata and stuff.
If we wouldn't talk about Linux I would suggest forget rsync. It's very bad in handling many thousands of files, both on the client and the server side.
We switched to cvsup where we could (for example FreeBSD mirror). It's a lot more efficient. A full FreeBSD mirror can be done in about 4 MBs of memory (about 600-800,000 files as far as I can remember). And also it is much faster in the start of the process.

--
Attila Nagy                                   e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Free Software Network (FSN.HU)           phone @work: +361 210 1415/127