On Fri, 25 Jul 2003, Attila Nagy wrote:

> Mattias Wadenstein wrote:
> > And mirrors would like to use rsync even if the rsync algorithm doesn't
> > matter. It is a convenient and well-known tool for mirroring a directory
> > structure, including all the metadata and stuff.
> If we wouldn't talk about Linux I would suggest forget rsync. It's very
> bad in handling many thousands of files, both on the client and the
> server side.
> We switched to cvsup where we could (for example FreeBSD mirror). It's a
> lot more efficient. A full FreeBSD mirror can be done in about 4 MBs of
> memory (about 600-800,000 files as far as I can remember). And also it
> is much faster in the start of the process.

Ah, this seems like a good tool in that regard then. Not that it matters
for cdimages and jigdos but it could be relevant for the man debian
archive where the rsync file list building dominates sync time in some
cases.

Thanks for the tip, I'll take a look at it. It still doesn't change the
fact that rsync is the well-known tool by mirror admins though.

/Mattias Wadenstein