Hi,

for now it looks like the merged ISO works as fat DVD-1.

I installed a Debian 11.2.0 system from the merged DVD-1+ DVD-2 ISO
in a qemu VM via option -cdrom. Installation went smoothly.
During reboot i aborted the VM to next deface the El Torito boot sector
of the ISO. I removed the -net options from the qemu start command,
hopefully simulating a pulled network adapter.
Then i booted from the virtual -hda, having the -cdrom present too.
I removed from sources.list the deb and deb-src entries with http.

  ping debian.org
gets no replies. So the network is effectively down, although
  ip addr
shows some "ens3" with "altname enp0s3", which looks much like the
"nnp5s0" of the host machine except that the latter has no "altname".

To make sure that i can install stuff, i did as superuser

  dpkg -s apt-file
  dpkg -s lame
  dpkg -s xorriso

which all three indicated that the packages are not yet installed.
Then i tried to install them:

  # From pool of DVD-1
  apt-get install apt-file

  # From pool of DVD-2
  apt-get install lame

  # Not in the two DVD images
  apt-get install xorriso

The first two succeeded and behaved as i know from apt-get.
The third did not succeed, as expected.

But
  apt-file update
fails with
  E: The repository 'cdrom://[Debian GNU/Linux 11.2.0 _Bullseye_ - Official
amd64 DVD Binary-1 20211218-11:13] bullseye Release' does not have a Release
file
  N: Update [...] can't be done securely [...] disabled by default.
  N: See apt-secure(8) [...]

Suspecting a flaw with my merge procedure, i booted with the original
DVD-1 ISO as -cdrom.
I had to run
  apt-cdrom add
before the repo was accepted (i'm riddling a lot) but then i could prove
that it works by
  apt-get install needrestart
which is on DVD-1.
Nevertheless
  apt-file update
tells the same "E:" and "N:" lines.

So the shortcomming seems already to be in DVD-1.
Anything known about it ?

(I learned that it was not necessary to deface El torito on DVD-1+2.
DVD-1 with El Torito at -cdrom does not keep -hda from booting.)

What shall i further test to challenge the merged ISO whether it has
any shorcommings compared to the original DVD-1 ?

Have a nice day :)

Thomas