On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 02:43:29PM -0500, Raul Miller wrote:
> On 12/16/05, Bastian Blank <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 01:54:45PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > > Are you saying that the current default permissions on (eg) /dev/hda*
> > > are insecure and therefore wrong ?
> >
> > Yes, I overwrite them on my machines.
>
> And what is your reason for being unwilling to use the same procedure
> on devmapper disks?

Which procedure? You seem to know something I don't know. ("Overwrite"
means in my context: chmod of static devices or a MODE setting in the
udev config)

> Personally, I'm using a system where the only way to obtain root access
> is to log in as root -- there's no privileges gained through suid binaries.

Err? Write access to the device of a mounted filesystem is a way to gain
root if you don't disable several options.

Bastian

--
        "Beauty is transitory."
        "Beauty survives."