Andreas Barth <a...@ayous.org> writes:
> * Russ Allbery (r...@debian.org) [140214 04:36]:

>> That's a much stronger statement than we've made about support for the
>> non-Linux ports in the past, where they're treated at most like another
>> release architecture, which means that packages that have never worked
>> on that architecture are not expected to do so and packages that used
>> to work but stopped are sometimes removed from just that architecture
>> rather than ported depending on the situation.

> My expectation of packages is indeed that they work on as many
> architectures as reasonable possible, and this includes that they
> support the default init system there. (The question of "which severity
> does a bug have" is a different question, for a release architecture
> that bug would be serious according to
> https://release.debian.org/jessie/rc_policy.txt section 4 paragraph 4
> and I don't think we should lower the bar.)

> I don't think that this expectation is wrong.

That's a very good point.

How does this sound to you?

    Packages should normally support the default init system on all
    architectures for which they are built.  There are some exceptional
    cases where lack of support for the default init system may be
    appropriate, such as alternative init system implementations,
    special-use packages such as managers for non-default init systems,
    and cooperating groups of packages intended for use with non-default
    init systems.  However, package maintainers should be aware that a
    requirement for a non-default init system will mean the package will
    be unusable for most Debian users and should normally be avoided.

> Because I currently don't see why we should say that (or: whats in there
> which is not already said elsewhere), and in that case, less text is
> better.

Given that the previous paragraph contains a lot of specific advice for
the jessie release, I feel like it adds some clarity to say explicitly
that we don't have advice to offer for the next release after jessie at
this time.

--
Russ Allbery (r...@debian.org)               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>