So, to take a step back, I think Ian is arguing that, by declaring the
traditional menu system a "should," he's not introducing a problem into
Policy that doesn't already exist, because our current use of "should" is
all over the map.

I agree with that statement as far as it goes, but I don't think it's a
very useful observation.  Because usage of "should" is currently all over
the map, it doesn't provide any clear guidance to the packager, which is
what the goal should be.

When working on a section of Policy, I try to fix issues like that when we
see them.  There are various "should" requirements in Policy that I think
are actually wishlist bugs, among them man pages and doc-base integration.
I don't believe those should share a word with things I would file as
important bugs.  That's a long-standing bug in Policy that needs to get
fixed.

I think it's up to the TC to figure out what the requirements on
maintainers are for the two separate menu systems in Debian at the moment,
and to express those in some clear way so that the project knows what the
requirements are and to what extent we are holding maintainers to them.  I
don't think it's up to the TC to decide how Policy handles normative
language.

So, I think the questions before the TC are:

1. Should programs that make sense in the context of a typical DE (I
   realize there's some fuzziness around this) all have desktop files?  If
   so, what level of Policy requirement should that be?  (Please be more
   specific than "should" -- maybe talk in terms of expected bug
   severities?  For reference, I consider man pages and doc-base
   integration to be a wishlist bug.)

2. What level of Policy requirement is providing traditional menu files in
   individual packages, using the same terminology?

Things that I don't think are TC issues:

* Whether desktop files should be documented in Policy at all.  There
  appears to be consensus that they should be, and I don't think anyone is
  disagreeing with that consensus, so there is no dispute there.

* How Policy should formally represent the distinction between different
  levels of requirements.  I respectfully suggest that this is a question
  of the maintenance and style of the Policy documentation, not a question
  of technical policy for the project, and is therefore a matter for the
  Policy Editors to decide, not the TC.  What we're looking for from the
  TC is clear guidance on what the requirements are and what level of
  severity those requirements have.  We clearly need to find some way to
  represent that in English once we have that guidance, but I don't think
  this is the place to decide how to do that or what the implications are
  for all the other "should" statements in Policy.

--
Russ Allbery (r...@debian.org)               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>