(Sorry I missed the meeting today.  I'm away on vacation and my schedule
ended up not aligning properly.)

Colin Watson <cjwat...@debian.org> writes:

> I think this is really overstated.  .desktop files are in a
> long-standing and popular basic file format for which plenty of parsing
> libraries in various languages exist, so you can get to the point of
> having a parsed data structure trivially.  In contrast the menu entry
> format is a bespoke thing.  While the .desktop file format has more
> bells and whistles, many of them can be ignored if you don't support
> whatever it is.  I don't think it's worth emphasising ease of
> consumption either way.

The counterpoint here, which I had missed earlier in this discussion, is
the file format for the menus themselves, not the *.desktop files.  I
agree with you about the *.desktop file format, but the specification for
the menus is much more complicated.  See:

    http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/menu-spec-1.0.html

I'm not positive that the syntax of /etc/menu-methods is any less complex,
but it's at least arguable, and it's certainly way different and already
designed for generating menus for other applications that don't inherently
support the XDG menu system.

--
Russ Allbery (r...@debian.org)               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>