Russ Allbery <r...@debian.org> writes:

> The counterpoint here, which I had missed earlier in this discussion, is
> the file format for the menus themselves, not the *.desktop files.  I
> agree with you about the *.desktop file format, but the specification for
> the menus is much more complicated.  See:
>
>     http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/menu-spec-1.0.html

I didn't actually review that spec before putting together my
draft. I think it's slightly orthogonal to the question of how
applications publish information about themselves to a menu program
though.

> I'm not positive that the syntax of /etc/menu-methods is any less complex,
> but it's at least arguable, and it's certainly way different and already
> designed for generating menus for other applications that don't inherently
> support the XDG menu system.

It seems to me that the freedesktop .menu file format is that can be
mechanically constructed from the set of installed .desktop files, at
least by default. To some degree, that makes it something of an
implementation detail for a particular menu program. I think it is
documented so that external menu editing tools can be written to
rearrange things from the default configuration.

--
keith.pack...@intel.com