On Thursday, June 26, 2014, Colin Watson <cjwat...@debian.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 05:50:38PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > I see Keith has committed a draft to git.  As discussed, I disagree
> > with this approach.  This amounts to nonconsensually abolishing
> > someone's work when it is still being maintained, and the global cost
> > is minimal.
>
> My feelings on this draft are mixed.
>
> On the one hand, I happen to agree with the position that the
> categorisation system in .desktop files (and X-Show-In etc.) should be
> able to cover the bulk of the practical requirements of the trad menu
> system:
>
>  * There's no reason that "has a .desktop file" should imply "shows up
>    in modern desktop environments", and so I think that the question of
>    coverage is to some extent a red herring; the systems have different
>    coverage because they've always had different coverage, not because
>    the .desktop format is inherently unable to meet the needs of trad
>    menu consumers.
>
>  * We might have to look into the presentation of menu item names,
>    although Name / GenericName offers some support for the different
>    names that people are likely to want, and if all else fails the
>    .desktop file format does have extension mechanisms.
>
> I would be very happy to see additional .desktop files being added to
> packages with suitable categorisation such that they don't need to
> interfere with how the maintainers of modern DEs want to present their
> desktops, so that menu-xdg (or similar) can supplant the current menu
> system with negligible loss of functionality for users of trad menus.  I
> think this would make a great project for people interested in unifying
> the two worlds a bit more, which doesn't even have to step on anyone's
> toes.  Perhaps for instance it would be a good project for Debian's
> Google Summer of Code efforts.
>
> On the other hand, Keith's draft seems highly aspirational to me.  While
> it seems to me to be broadly the right kind of long-term technical
> direction, there is an awful lot of work in there for people who want
> something like trad menus which is being glossed over.
>

> So, I prefer Ian's position in
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=741573#355 for the
> purposes of how the policy text should remain for the time being, and in
> terms of the philosophy of not ripping out work from under people's
> feet.  I disagree with its argument that it follows directly from the
> two sets of competing requirements that we must have these two file
> formats.  I prefer Keith's position as a long-term direction, but agree
> with Ian that it is lacking an awful lot of transitional thought, and
> feel that it has a lot of things-should-be-done without it being clear
> who will do them.
>
> > Thirdly, IMO the resolution needs to acknowledge (in the "whereas"
> > section) that consuming a trad Debian menu entry is simpler and easier
> > than consuming a .desktop file.

> [...]

I believe the major aspect of .desktop files that makes them harder is the
icon handling. Perhaps debian policy should instruct that a certain icon
size must always be available in a particular format (e.g. 32x32 png) so
that WMs do not have to handle so many corner cases in that area.

Best,
--
Cameron Norman