For the record, I wish the message I am now responding to, and other
subsequent responses and discussion, were being sent to the bug mail
address *in addition to* all the other addresses they're being sent to.  I
am choosing to send my response here to the bug mail address, at least in
part so there is a record there that not all the discussion related to this
bug is available at the bug itself, but instead is only found in the
debian-ctte list archives.

On Tue, Oct 4, 2016 at 11:31 AM, Adrian Bunk <b...@stusta.de> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 04, 2016 at 10:30:01AM -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:
>

> > Here are some factors to consider:

[...]

> In other words, the best way forward for getting any decision would be
> an RC bug against perl claiming that the Configure script is not DFSG-free.

For the record, having read Mr. Hartman's draft analysis at
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=830978#217 , and some
other things related to the perl Configure script source code availability
issue, I admit that I would be ... "amused", for a suitable definition of
the word amused, if this issue were brought up.  (*cough*).

> If anyone thinks that this hardball approach would not be necessary,
> please describe to Pirate Praveen a better way for getting an explicit
> decision in time for stretch.

Get a variance from RC-buggyness for browserified Javascript for Stretch,
and package grunt and/or alternative for Stretch+1.  That's what he's asked
for, anyway.

Admittedly, if grunt et al fails to be successfully packaged for Stretch+1,
and/or if packaging grunt et al proves to be insufficient for the
browserified Javascript source code availability issue, then the RC-bug
issue reappears for Stretch+1, with an even more tangled thicket around it
 But, that's the risk one takes.

Hope this is of some use, interest.  Thanks for your time.  Be well.

Joseph