On 2016-10-25 07:33 +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> ]] Ian Jackson
>
> >  * Specifically, failed to give clear and constructive directions to
> >    those willing to do the work;
>
> I disagree with those characterisations. He's asked for clarifications
> on what is broken without anything resembling an adequate reply.

NOW, yes, when after 5 years people gave up filing bugs and brought it
to the technical committee. _Now_ Ron has ample time to write very
long responses. But the problem is that he didn't respond usefully in
the bugs, for years. Various people said 'the debian version doesn't
work, but the current upstream version does, can we upgrade
please?'. And were mostly ignored or given short shrift. (Vincent just
posted URLS).

Normal people, who are not of the Ian and Ron (and me) 'old-school
Debian, we quite like an argument' personality type, find this
_extremely_ offputting. I am only involved because I work with Punit
and he came to me asking for advice on what to do.

He's not posting here because the last thing he wants is an argument
(you know, the sort of quiet person who _really_ doesn't like
arguments). He thinks it's silly that we can't have a newer version of
global, but if that's what decided, then fine. He won't argue - he'll
just use upstream, debian will be stuck with the ancient version, and
we'll have lost a contributor. As he points out - there are many, many
other things he can do with his spare time that don't involve an
argument or dealing with a difficult maintainer.

So if this thing is only assessed in terms of who is the most
enthusiastic debater then Ron wins (he's very good at it).

I realise this makes things harder for the TC to assess, because they
see a rather one-sided view. I would just ask them to bear
personalities and communication preferences in mind.

(As I said to Punit, 'everything used to be like this, but we improved
a lot in the last few years, and this is much rarer than it used to
be'). Debian used to have a (largely deserved) reputation as an
unpleasant project to work in. We've done a lot in the last few years
to improve that situation. I invite the TC to reflect on how this
would have played out if global had had a different maintainer. This
is (or should be) about attitude, responsiveness, and helpfulness, at
least as much as the technical (htags) debate.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/