Ian Jackson <ijack...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:

> But I should be able to use the same laptop to (1) control my machine
> tools or talk to my rpi or whatever (2) go online with a usb mobile
> modem when I'm out of the house.  Possibly even simultaneously.

That requires fixing the package instead of just getting it out of the
way, a significantly harder thing to manage.

I'm not saying your wrong. The simpler fix would make things better for
some people (those who use no USB modems, but do use other USB serial
devices), worse for others (those who use USB modems but not other USB
serial devices), and the same for a few (those who use both). The
question is whether the simpler fix would be a net positive for Debian
users, or a net negative.

Obviously, a "real" fix that asked the user whether a particular
device was actually a modem would be best for the third class of
people.

Of course, the simpler fix has the side effect of not installing
software or running I don't ever need and which serves only to annoy me.
So, for me, the simpler fix is even better...

> And, people shouldn't have to install support software to get their
> internet to work.

It's all a question of what support we install by default; there are
certainly plenty of network configurations which are not supported in a
default install. Are modems still common enough that supporting them by
default is worth the cost of wasting space and power on the remaining
machines which will never use one?

If it were just software that got installed and sat idle, I'd complain a
lot less. As it is, modemmanager does "stuff" by default, even if I
haven't asked it to. Software which runs on every machine by default
should be held to a higher standard than software which users explicitly
request. So, if we didn't install it by default, I'd be happy for it to
continue to suck.

--
-keith