On 2018-12-03 00:37 +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:

> This is incorrect. The current plan has some systems be merged-/usr and
> others not while we are in the transition. It therefore introduces
> Debian-wide complexity in that maintainers are expected to support both
> merged and unmerged /usr, which causes problems (as we see here). It
> also effects a change without the maintainers of the software in
> question being involved, which could have unintended side effects with
> some packages that we don't know yet (and that we probably won't know
> about until the release of buster).
>
> Changing this through a policy change, as we've always done, would not
> have those problems:
>
> - Maintainers are expected to move their own package to merged-/usr, so
>   they would be aware of issues that might ensue and would be able to
>   deal with them.
> - We are not expected to be supporting merged-/usr and unmerged-/usr at
>   the same time; instead, we'll be gradually moving towards a
>   merged-/usr situation.
> - We don't end up with packages' files being moved from under them.

I don't want to add pile of verbiage here, but I'd just like to say
that everything Wouter said makes a whole lot of sense to me.

We know how to do this sort of transition, and yes it takes some time,
but that's OK. Using usrmerge to try and shortcut this, producing the
awkward 'dual-state' issues does not seem to me to be a good way to go.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/