control: tag -1 + moreinfo

Dear Stephan,

On Sat 21 Nov 2020 at 12:20PM GMT, Stephan Lachnit wrote:

> Currently the package libinih uses some heavy patches, which aren't upstream
> and aren't used by any other distro. I'm in favor of dropping this, but the
> current maintainer disagrees and we weren't able to make any progess in the
> discussion, so I want to put this here. Parts of the discussion can be found
> on
> this MR: https://salsa.debian.org/yangfl-guest/inih/-/merge_requests/2
>
> To understand this, one has to look a bit at the history behind inih. Upstream
> was designed as a static library for embedded devices, and therefore has a lot
> of compile time options. At this point, the current maintainer created a patch
> to make all compile time option available on runtime.
>
> When gamemode started using inih, I wanted to get rid of shipped inih code and
> upstreamed a build system to inih for a shared library, that any distro can
> use. This was done in version 48. Due to the popularity of gamemode, inih is
> now found in most major distros (all without Debian's patches):
> https://repology.org/project/inih/versions
>
> There is a notable "exception": inih is not in Ubuntu's main repository. This
> is a bit weird because gamemode is in main, but with the shipped inih source
> which got dropped from 1.6, meaning gamemode is stuck on 1.5.1 on Ubuntu. I'm
> not sure why, but I suspect the heavy patches make it harder to be included in
> main.
>
> Because the library was designed for embedded use cases where every little bit
> of performance matters, the runtime patch was refused upstream. Dropping the
> runtime patch from Debian actually isn't problem, no reverse dependency of
> libinih uses compile time options anyway. However, due to the history of inih
> in Debian is has the soversion 1, while upstream is soversion 0.
>
> I want to drop the vendorisation of Debian and start a transition to soversion
> 0 (which is also a reason I contact the Technical Committee, as it's not clear
> how this would be done). A transition is needed anyway since dropping the
> patch
> is a breaking change anyway. If the Technical Committee agrees to this, I
> would
> also gladly help to maintain this package since it is 2 version behind
> upstream
> since almost half a year and I maintain gamemode, which is directly affected
> by
> this.

Your message it not clear enough for TC members not familiar with the
packages in question to understand what the dispute is.  We cannot wade
through discussions on salsa -- we need a summary.

Please make another attempt at summarising the dispute.  Please also
indicate which of the TC's powers (as granted by the constitution) you
are asking us to make use of.

Thanks.

--
Sean Whitton