Date: Thu, 28 Sep 95 20:28 BST
   From: Ian Jackson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

   > I was using dselect for the first time (for real), and it is very,
   > very nice.  However, while it was upgrading my bash.deb, it stopped to
   > query about the confile '/etc/profile'.  Fair enough, it was
   > different.  I chose the 'Z' (?) option to suspend and investigate for
   > myself.  dpkg was then stopped, but instead of starting a shell, it
   > returned to the dselect menu, after which I couldn't do anything, as
   > dpkg was locked.

   I had a bug report like this before.  Can you reproduce it ?  If you
   have two .deb files which have different versions of a conffile in it
   you can keep getting dpkg to prompt by editing the conffile once and
   then never answering `y' as you install them alternately.

Were you doing this in the dselect automatically started after
installing the base system?  In this case, dselect is started from a
shell script (namely, /root/.bash_profile).  Could this be the
problem?