On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 04:04:22PM +0300, George Danchev wrote:

> Let me point out that Debian has always provided upstream (unmodified/
> pristine) kernel source by the means of kernel-source-x.y.z packages and
> kernel-patch-<whatever> ... and so on ... Now with kernel-source-2.4.22 the
> situation has been changed...

Er...what?  kernel-source-x.y.z has not been unmodified since before I used
Debian, if ever.  Even the .orig.tar.gz has not been pristine since 2.4.10,
due to the need to remove non-free firmware.

Shipping modified kernel source is not a new idea in Debian.

> > Escecially as an unmodified source-tree is in my experience almost only
> > useful for i386. (Perhaps getting better
>
> Not true ;-) So called by you unmodified  has all architecture-specific
> code inside. Get a kernel from kernel.org or svn from bkbits.net and cd
> arch/

Very clever.  Now try actually building a kernel for most of those
architectures.  The reality of compiling working kernels involves a lot more
than the presence of a few directories.

--
 - mdz