Tilo Schwarz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thursday 07 October 2004 10:09, Frank Küster wrote:
>> Tilo Schwarz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >
>> > On NeXT-Step systems the ".bundle" suffix of a directory indicates
>> > a dynamically linkable module (basically like a shared lib).
>>
>> Is Debian a NeXT-Step system? I guess not. Does ".bundle" have any
>> meaning to our *users*? I guess no.
>>
>> It doesn't really matter whether you can teach the readers of ITP's
>> on debian-devel what ".bundle" means. The question is whether we
>> serve our users with what I would call a "cryptic name" for at least
>> 90% of them.
>
> The intention of my answer was not to argue concerning the gnustep
> naming issue in any direction - I couldn't care less. The answer
> doesn't contain a single word regarding the naming discussion.
>
> The intention was to answer what I thought was a question of you:

The misunderstanding is that, since bundle has a meaning for developers
(in a GNUstep context), you read it as 'What is a ".bundle"'. I must
admit that I wasn't really interested in the answer.

What I meant was: 'What is the message you want to send to the user by
naming a package "foo.bundle" instead of "foo"'. It seems to me the
answer is: "There is no message". So my comment is: Why not keep it out
of the name (after choosing a sensible name for the application in the
first place)?

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster