Steve Langasek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> That would be RC bug #295175 in the xfree86-common package.  I don't imagine
> gnucash would've fared any better under these circumstances without the
> libtool update, either.

Ah, ok!  I'm glad you are up on these things; I would not have guessde
to look there.  I'll just wait until that gets into unstable on all
the arch's and then maybe we can see what gnucash problems remain.

> Though it might be nice if gnucash's configure script called, and used the
> output from, the AC_PATH_X macro if it's going to be including X11/Xlib.h
> (and why does a GNOME application need to directly include X headers,
> anyway?).

See, gnucash is big and complicated. :)

gnucash installs its own Xlib error handler.

> Yes, libtool updates are not as nice as they ought to be -- frequently
> complicated by upstreams' use of questionable practices where autoconf
> macros (aclocal.m4) are concerned.  I still haven't gotten gnucash playing
> nicely with libtool 1.5, FWIW, after several iterations...

Thanks for trying. :)  Maybe once the xfree86-common problems are
stamped out by Branden, gnucash 1.8.10-7 won't have a severe an issue
with the older libtool.

Upstream reports that no 1.8 releases should be expected for things
like the build system; 1.8.10 was a data corruption bug and 1.8.11 was
to fix a release engineering mistake in 1.8.10 (already corrected in
the Debian package, so I haven't bothered with 1.8.11).

The gnome-2 branch of gnucash is still nowhere near ready; release is
expected "later this year".

It is possible that these problems will stymie work on 1.8.10 for
Debian, at least, not before sarge release.  If that's true, I can
hobble together an interim version based on the old version in woody,
which backports the important bugfixes since then, but I would rather
avoid such a procedure if possible.

Thomas