On Sun, Aug 07, 2005 at 10:12:56PM -0400, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

> >   The SSP compiler is a patch against GCC and offers "Stack Smashing
> >  Protection".  In short it gives protection against buffer overflow
> >  bugs, and attacks.
>
> Steve, you are aware that GCC 4.1 will include a complete
> reimplementaton of this feature, right?  Wouldn't time be better spent
> with that than with the obsolete SSP patches?

  The GCC 4.1 implementation, mudflap, appears to do an entirely
 different thing.

  Whilst it is true that the changes of the SSP patch ever going into
 the mainline GCC codebase have become much more minimal it is still
 an interesting experiment.  If only to be used as a benchmark against
 other compiler-based approaches.

  I take the point that sooner or later, and probably sooner, the
 experiment will have to end and there may likely not be a clean
 upgrade patch.  However as long as people are willing to bear
 that in mind it is work that I would find personally interesting
 and would do pretty much regardless of an interested audience.

Steve
--
# Debian System Administration
www.debian-administration.org/