On Sat, Aug 20, 2005 at 06:15:45PM +0200, Henning Makholm wrote:
> Proxies and firewalling is not in my experience a huge trouble in
> these environments; the general non-availablity of any other software
> than IE (with JVM and various scripting languages) on netcafe/library
> computers is.
>
> Is putty available as a Java applet, plugin or the like? That would
> solve the problem that mindterm addresses, but I doubt it.

No it isn't, but you can always download it from the putty project
page [1] and just run it from the Internet. Unless there are paranoid
settings you can't change in IE you can just download the exe file
and run it in the system you are using. Why do you need a Java applet
when Windows will happily run any non-signed exe file?

> > I would seriously advise against running SSH session in possibly
> > compromised systems.
>
> Depends on one's level of paranoia. Some people might want to not
> attempt to access their machines when they are on the road; others do
> not have the option or are anyhow willing to accept the risk that a
> random netcafe proprietor will trojan his machines to sniff passwords.
> For the latter group, SSH1 is still better than a telnet session.

Sure, and one time passwords for either case is even better.

Regards

Javier

[1] www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html