Marvin Renich wrote:
> * Norbert Preining <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [051128 11:20]:
> > Dear all!
> >
> > Please comment, not only on the package naming, but also on the
> > bin-to-source mapping.
> >

> > texlive-documentation-source        57M
> > ----------------------------
> > Reasoning: The documenatation is actually in a specific language, so we use
> > the respective language code.
> > texlive-documentation-base  texlive-base-doc
> > texlive-documentation-bulgarian texlive-bg-doc
> > texlive-documentation-czechslovak texlive-cs-doc
> > texlive-documentation-dutch         texlive-nl-doc
> > texlive-documentation-english       texlive-en-doc
> >

> > Best wishes
> >
> > Norbert
> >

> In [1], Thiemo Seufer asserts that "FWIW, Debian package names prefer
> e.g. foo-en-uk-doc over foo-documentation-ukenglish."  I completely
> disagree.

The point was about "documentation" and "ukenglish".

> There is already precedent for using foo-doc-fr ordering of -doc-LANG:
> aptitude-doc-XX, udo-doc-XX, mdnkit-doc-XX, otrs-doc-XX,
> speechd-el-doc-cs (the -el- is emacs lisp, -cs is Czech),
> speech-dispatcher-doc-cs, lifelines-doc-sv, samba-doc-ja.
>
> I saw no examples of -XX-doc with XX a language.

apt-cache pkgnames |egrep '(^doc-|-doc-|-doc$|-docs$)'
should catch most documentation packages, it shows the -doc suffix as
the most popular one.

> The most notable exceptions to PKG-doc-XX were doc-linux-XX and
> doc-debian-XX, but in these cases, you can consider 'doc-linux' and
> 'doc-debian' to be the package names, rather than "documentation for the
> linux or debian package."  And, the -XX still came after.
>
> I think -doc-XX is more natural, and I don't see why in [2] Thiemo said
> that it made pattern matching harder.  In fact, I think it is easier to
> find documentation for the foo package with foo-doc; then you can easily
> see what languages are available.

If you know you are intersted in "foo", then it is easy anyway
(apt-cache pkgnames instead of search for the purpose of this
discussion):

apt-cache pkgnames | grep '^foo.*-doc$'

If the idea is to remove some documentation from a space-constrained
system, a -doc suffix would be easier.

Thiemo