On 12/18/05, Steinar H. Gunderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 18, 2005 at 02:56:10PM +0100, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
> > Why would this be huge?
> > Why is it that hard to plugin another codec?
>
> You'd have to rewrite about every single tool in the world handling .debs,
> make up a transition plan and upgrade from that. Not to mention that you'd

Why is the knowledge of how to decode a .deb distributed over so many tools?

> have to make sure it works on all kinds of obscure platforms actually using
> the thing. (And yes, I have used ar and tar to extract debs, and consider it
> a quite useful feature.)

Why would that stop working if you switch compression schemes?
I guess tar is coded to use gzip with -z and bzip2 with -j, but why is
there no generic way to add coders/decoders (codecs) to tar (and other
applications that wish to use compression filters)?