On Mon, 19 Dec 2005, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> you wrote:
use nameif.

This has been suggested before but AIUI nameif has problems/limitations
renaming eth0.

Well, you just cant use existing names (this could be fixed, however i am
not sure if this is needed)

It can be trivially worked around by:
nameif blah 00:30:4F:04:C1:61
nameif eth0 00:50:BF:91:28:E5
nameif eth1 00:30:4F:04:C1:61

Too bad, nameif is currently unable to use this workaround on its own,
need to write this by hand.

We could enhance the ifup interfaces file format to use MACs as interface
identifiers and have an additional labeling statement. (i know it can be
done with other means right now but I think it sould be introduced as first
class citizen - AIUI just like suse does):

iface 00:00:C0:A1:E7:CD inet static
    name lan0
    address 10.0.0.3
    network 10.0.0.0
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    broadcast 10.0.0.255
    gateway 10.0.0.1
    up route add -net 10.0.0.0 netmask 255.0.0.0 gw 10.0.0.1 || true

We could even "just" change the kernel to asign a name ethXXXXXXXXXXXX, then
most likely no new features are needed.

This is a WONDERFUL idea! nameif has /etc/mactab which uses a similar concept, however: 1. all data about interfaces should be kept together, instead of being strewn across 92587239839 files. Having the ifname<->MAC mapping in the same place as ifname<->IP and ifname<->netmask would be the logical thing to do. 2. nameif has issues when using /etc/mactab. I can't remember the exact problems as I can't access that machine right now, but I couldn't get nameif to work that way. 3. nameif doesn't work unless the interface being renamed is down. It doesn't know that anything that is up can go down for a moment -- but, the code which reads /etc/network/interfaces does exactly what we need: it puts down all interfaces, reconfigures them and then brings them up again.
Renaming them to what the sysadmin wants is a natural step to do.

Regards.
--
/-----------------------\ Shh, be vewy, vewy quiet,
| [EMAIL PROTECTED] | I'm hunting wuntime ewwows!
Segmentation fault (core dumped)