On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 01:49:37AM +0100, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:

> tmpfs stores run ressources in vm more efficiently (since they are otherwise
> in th buffercache and the filesystem).

Quite the contrary. tmpfs needs vm space even if nobody needs the data
(thus, it could be evicted from the page cache if it were on a
disk-backed fs). I just looked at my /var/run directory and I found only
5 files (4 of them are sockets) that are used often ("often" = "at least
once in every 5 minutes" here). The rest should definitely not occupy my
VM space in any form.

> And you cant really move the run ressources.

What you mean by that? /run is needed to store things before the real
/var is mounted for a very few things that _must_ run before /var is
mounted. If something is capable to be started _after_ /var is mounted,
I think it has no right to use /run.

For the few things that really needs /run it could be easy to implement
moving data out of /run after /var is mounted.

Gabor