On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 10:22:33AM +0100, A Mennucc wrote:
> Dear Jeroen and everybody,
>
> here attached is an email I sent in September.
>
> Yes, I did ask to ftp-masters clarifications about your proposal in
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2005/04/msg00997.html
> and never received a reply.
>
> Jeroen van Wolffelaar wrote:
> > While you indeed haven't got a later mail, you also didn't ask for one
> > to the best of my knowledge (my memory isn't infallible, so I might be
> > wrong, if so, I'm sorry, please correct me)...
>
> yes, your memory failed  :-)
> (you are in the CC of the attached email)

Yes, and I got it via ftpmaster@ too. I indeed failed to answer this
mail, and so did we as ftp-master team. I'm sorry for that, I do my best
to reply to all mails that I can answer to, but september was an
increadibly busy month for me. Only speaking for myself here, if you
haven't recieved an answer for a month or so and you expected one,
you're welcome to prod me via mail, repeating every month if needed, I
don't mind that for genuine questions that are not written in an
offensive way. I know it's not nice, but I get a lot of mail, and as
time passes, chances decrease significantly I'll ever get around to
replying old mail. Alternative ways to solve this like adding more hours
to days have proven hard to implement.

> > I'm wondering what bit of my last few lines in the quoted email were
> > unclear. While I specifically noted that removing mpeg encoding stuff
> > might or might not be required, I explicitely said that stripping it
> > anyway will make the whole pondering on whether it can be in the
> > (source) package at all moot for the question whether mpeg encoding
> > would be legal to ship on ftp.debian.org.
>
> (sorry my english fails me here)

Basicly: Drop mpeg encoding from mplayer source package -> definitely
less problems getting through NEW.

> > As in all cases, final verdict on whether a package will pass NEW
> > is made at the time it's sitting in NEW and being processed by an
> > ftp-master team member
>
> Of course.
>
> This is what I have been waiting for. For 880 days, roughly.

I suggest you upload stripping all the mpeg encoding stuff, pending
answer to that difficult question. However, what you do, is your choice
-- if you prefer to wait and are not planning to strip mpeg encoding
support out of the source package, that's not something the ftp-master
team will have any say on.

To answer the questions from your mail of september:

> 1) can mplayer be included into Debian, possibly with some fixes,
>  including removal of source from the mplayer...orig.tar.gz ?

I'm not aware of any fundamental reason why mplayer couldn't be in
Debian.

> 2) (if yes) do we need to remove MPEG decoding stuff?

Encoding, I assume you mean.

Unsure, as I explained above and in earlier mails. It's a very difficult
question, and we don't have an answer on it yet. However, removing
encoding stuff would bypass the main problem that we have with mplayer
right now, and then the answer to this question can then be researched
in parallel to an mplayer-with-only-mpeg-decoding being available from
Debian.

> 3) what other problems should we fix ?
>  (please read  http://people.debian.org/~mjr/legal/mplayer.html
>   to know what has been already fixed )

I don't know of any at this moment, but I also cannot promise there
won't be any more problems that need fixing found between now and the
package being checked in the NEW queue.

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (also for Jabber & MSN; ICQ: 33944357)