On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 03:59:04AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:

> Putting R in / spoils the otherwise read-only character of that
> directory. *shrug*

No, it's not. Mounting something over a top-level subdirectory does not
require / to be writeable.

> That is, pretty much everything that runs as a daemon, and that might
> have otherwise used /var in general.

That's why I'd like to have a check for /run (or /lib/run or whatever)
being empty at the end of the boot process, and complain if it isn't
(possibly also remounting it r/o so abusers break noisily).

Gabor